MM iOS Client Freezes At Start

Hi,

I’ve noticed an issue with MM iOS Client v1.10.0

MM iOS Client freezes every time I try to open it and MM server is not available.

Some messages appear but the menu button and settings button don’t do anything.

The only way is to force close the app.

this could be related to the fact I’m messing around with the server settings.

In any case I think the client should display “connecting” or even going back to “connect to server” screen.

UPDATE:

This is happening even now that I have sorted my server settings.

It could be related to creating new teams.

I close mm ios client. admin adds me to a new team. I start mm ios client and it freezes. that seems to be the scenario.

It seems it is also affecting mattermost classic. I start the app and it displays “Team not found” with a back button.

Cheers

mm classic issue

Hi @RbDev - I’ll test this today on iOS with the repro steps that you gave and I’ll report back what I find.

Hi @RbDev Seems that I’m not able to reproduce this - do you have any additional details to narrow down the case, e.g. whether the new team is public or private?

public/private team. is that possible?

I was having the issue until I resintalled the app.

I’m not going to force it in my prod environment to replicate sorry.

I just updated my server to version 5.1.1 and the issue started happening again.

The app is displayed normally but the menu buttons are not working.

my guess is, everytime you restart the server, sessions are lost and previously connected users get the bug.

only resintalling fix it.

Pls help. many users are complaining. we need a fix to this ASAP. high priority.

Hi @RbDev,

1. Can you help remind me what OS version you’re using?
  2. Is this on Classic app or the newer app?
  3. Can you use the app’s “Report a Problem” which might give more error messages to indicate what might be wrong?
  4. Any other screenshots / short videos / error messages will help.

We are also releasing v1.11 today (will be available to download in the next few days), so I recommend updating to the new version when it’s available as it also includes fixes for crashing issues.

server:
linux 64b
MM 5.1.1

iOS client:
latest firmware 11.4.1
MM App 1.10.0

1. newer app.

2. I can try but remember I ahve to reinstall to solve the issue and it probably means loosing the log.

3. There is not much to screenshot. It looks ok but the buttons dont work.

Hi @RbDev,

The report didn’t have any errors as you mentioned, so I deleted it. I’ll ask our devs if they have an idea on this issue.

This is a big problem. We need a fix for it asap.

@RbDev Is this still the repro steps:

1. Close mm ios client.
  2. Admin adds me to a new team.
  3. I start mm ios client and it freezes.

no.

Restart MM server. when deploying an upgrade or just server maintenance.

Open ios app. It will be frozen.

@RbDev Does the user need to be logged in while restarting the server or does it matter if they’re logged in / out?

@elias Do you know if this is expected or needs troubleshooting:

Repro steps:

1. Login to iOS app and close.
  2. Restart Mattermost server when deploying an upgrade or doing server maintenance.
  3. Open iOS app.

Observed: iOS app is frozen and buttons (e.g. menu and settings) don’t work. Need to reinstall app to make it work. There are no logs.

Server: linux 64b
iOS client: latest firmware v11.4.1
MM App v1.10

First time ever I see this report.

We do update pre-release daily and this has never happen. and definitely not expected.

@RbDev Probably one way to troubleshoot this more is if you are able to give access to your server and we can try reproduce this while you restart the server next time - would this be possible?

yes. user must be logged in.

sorry but lets try to reproduce somewhere else. I cant keep restarting my prod.

and my other MM is not working 100%. S3 storage is still broken but we could try here.

I fixed my ipad to be able to use MM but my iphone is still broken. Do you want me to send you a video?

Summary of issue:

Repro steps:

1. Login to iOS app and close.
  2. Restart Mattermost server when deploying an upgrade or doing server maintenance.
  3. Open iOS app.

Observed: iOS app is frozen and buttons (e.g. menu and settings) don’t work. Need to reinstall app to make it work. There are no logs.

Server: linux 64b
iOS client: latest firmware v11.4.1
MM App v1.10

@RbDev A video would certainly be helpful.

You mentioned that all sessions are lost when you restart the server, does that include web app sessions? Also, regarding for the server:

1. What distro of linux is it installed on?
  2. Is it installed natively or are you using something like Docker for it?
  3. What database are you using? Is it also installed natively or on something like Docker?