Channel mute and delete post functions not working after 6.0 upgrade

For feature requests, please see: Contributing Feature Proposals - Mattermost.

For troubleshooting questions, please post in the following format:

Summary
Channel mute and delete post functions not working after 6.0 upgrade

Steps to reproduce
I’m running the self hosted version of Mattermost. After upgrading from 5.36 to 6.0, the must channel button stopped working for all users. When the button is clicked, it no longer toggles mute/unmute. The Slash command (/mute) still works. Also the delete post function no longer works. When a user deletes a post, it shows deleted on the screen, but all other users still see the post in the channel.

Expected behavior
The mute butting used to toggle mute/unmute, and when a user deleted a post, the post was removed from the channel.

Observed behavior
There is not a good way to show a visual of this.

Do you see the same issues on the latest v6.3.3?

Hi Amy. I am currently on 6.3.2 and the behavior is the same.

Can you help share your Mattermost server logs from the time when the issue occurs?

Sorry for the delay. This is the error reported in the logs.

{“timestamp”:“2022-02-09 10:05:17.538 -05:00”,“level”:“error”,“msg”:“Unable to delete the post.”,“caller”:“web/context.go:105”,“path”:"/api/v4/posts/qnsq1gfkdp8j7rrxfrr93ozj7e",“request_id”:“pghapetw17dtmbzej7u4s1k3xa”,“ip_addr”:“172.16.0.30”,“user_id”:“bxiotcgj47nsppmfc8g4588ebc”,“method”:“DELETE”,“err_where”:“DeletePost”,“http_code”:500,“err_details”:“failed to update Posts: Error 3141: Invalid JSON text in argument 1 to function cast_as_json: “Invalid value.” at position 0.”}

@streamer45 @isacikgoz Let me know if the error above indicates a bug.

I did find this post, and I checked my MYSQL version and I’m on 8.0.22. Do you think updating to a newer version of MYSQL could fix this?
invalid json text while deleting a post · Issue #18983 · mattermost/mattermost-server · GitHub

Yes, I’d suggest to upgrade to 8.0.25, or be at 8.0.21. There’s a regression somewhere in 8.0.22 which got fixed in the later versions.

I can confirm that updating to MYSQL 8.0.28 did fix both the mute and delete post functions. Thank you both for your assistance.