I want to lookup Error codes

I want to lookup Error codes i.e. 1698

Hi TripleH and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

Can you please post some context around this error code, i.e. the full error message, the logline you saw it in or a screenshot of the message? Also, in what product/plugin are you getting this error while trying to do what exactly?

Hi agriesser, and thank you for you fast reply.
Now I’m back.
I’m working on an issue. I just installed mattermost for the first time on my RPi4 with mysql.
Mysql seam to run well. I got some hussel with the Data Source declaration in the config.json.

I used Installing Mattermost server on RaspberryPI4 – MinecraftChest1's garage

for the installation but switched from mattermost-v5.32.1 to mattermost-v7.2.0.

v5.32.1 or lets say the instruction recommended:

mmuser:mmuser-password@tcp(localhost:3306)/mattermost?charset=utf8mb4,utf8&readTimeout=30s&writeTimeout=30s

With that I got the Error like near 1035 something not permitted, I don’t remember it was yesterday.
Then I found today somewhere in the forum here or shortly before I became a member here somewhere at github.
But anyhow someone said that the old line is close to postgres but I have mysql.
I gave it a try with:

“DataSource”: “custom_mmuser:password@tcp(127.0.0.1:3306)/custom_mattermost_db?charset=utf8mb4,utf8\u0026readTimeout=30s\u0026writeTimeout=30s”,

The result you can find down here:

sudo -u mattermost ./mattermost
{“timestamp”:“2022-08-21 15:26:47.500 +02:00”,“level”:“info”,“msg”:“Server is initializing…”,“caller”:“app/server.go:271”,“go_version”:“go1.18.1”}
{“timestamp”:“2022-08-21 15:26:47.500 +02:00”,“level”:“info”,“msg”:“Pinging SQL”,“caller”:“sqlstore/store.go:228”,“database”:“master”}
{“timestamp”:“2022-08-21 15:26:47.522 +02:00”,“level”:“error”,“msg”:“Failed to ping DB”,“caller”:“sqlstore/store.go:238”,“error”:“Error 1698: Access denied for user ‘custom_mmuser’@‘localhost’”,“retrying in seconds”:10}

So I need help. Since I’m a newbee to mattermost I’m missing a list of error codes to get any further.

I hope you say: Well beginners error and …

Looking forward to your reply

Best regards
TripleH

Hi again,

this is not a Mattermost error code, it’s the MySQL server telling you that the credentials you used to connect to it were invalid. As outlined in the documentation you linked in the section “Set up MariaDB”, you need to create a user account and a database in your MySQL server. In the example, they use username mmuser, password mmuser-password and databasename mattermost.
The Connectionstring you posted first is correct for these values, so this connection string is for MySQL and not PostgreSQL. The two relevant lines in your config.json should look like this then:

"SqlSettings": {
        "DriverName": "mysql",
       "DataSource": "mmuser:mmuser-password@tcp(localhost:3306)/mattermost?charset=utf8mb4,utf8\u0026readTimeout=30s\u0026writeTimeout=30s",
[...]

If you want to change the username, password or database name, please do so in the MySQL server as well as the connection string - they need to match.

Hi, thank you for the info.
I repeated all steps after the creation of mysql.
Took a new “mmuser” and a new database and got this different error:

{“timestamp”:“2022-08-22 20:30:39.660 +02:00”,“level”:“info”,“msg”:“Server is initializing…”,“caller”:“app/server.go:271”,“go_version”:“go1.18.1”}
{“timestamp”:“2022-08-22 20:30:39.660 +02:00”,“level”:“info”,“msg”:“Pinging SQL”,“caller”:“sqlstore/store.go:228”,“database”:“master”}
{“timestamp”:“2022-08-22 20:30:39.662 +02:00”,“level”:“error”,“msg”:“Failed to ping DB”,“caller”:“sqlstore/store.go:238”,“error”:“Error 1044: Access denied for user ‘hwmm’@‘%’ to database ‘hwmm’”,“retrying in seconds”:10}

I will check mysql errors tomorrow and if I find a question to mattermost I 'll contact you again.

Thank you so far.

If your username is really “mmuser”, then something is wrong with your connection string, since the error message says that you’re trying to connect with a username called “hwmm” to a database called “hwmm”.

# replace the variables here with the desired names, type that directly into your console
MYSQLUSER=myuser
MYSQLPASS=mypass
MYSQLDB=mydb

echo "CREATE USER $MYSQLUSER IDENTIFIED BY '$MYSQLPASS'; CREATE DATABASE $MYSQLDB; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON $MYSQLDB.* TO $MYSQLUSER; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;" | mysql
sed -i -e 's/"DataSource":.*/"DataSource": "'$MYSQLUSER':'$MYSQLPASS'@tcp(localhost:3306)\/'$MYSQLDB'?charset=utf8mb4,utf8\\u0026readTimeout=30s\\u0026writeTimeout=30s",/' /opt/mattermost/config/config.json

This should get you going.

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

The change I made was from mmuser to hwmm and the Errormessage was after the change.

But anyhow it is the same Problem. And anyhow I will take your suggestion in the afternoon to try it.

I know sometimes one letter can be the problem for a complex thing to not work at all.

Best regards