Realtime audio communication

Hi Forum!
Is Mattermost capable of realtime audio communication (just like a phone call)? I found and installed the Voice Messaging Plugin, but this is asynchronous communication. Our Mattermost works also flawlessly with our Jitsi server, but we’d prefer an audio only option besides the video conferencing integration.
If Mattermost itself is not capable, are there related plugins?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards
Armin

Hi Armin,

We don’t have that functionality natively supported yet. But there are plugins you can use to achieve that:

1 Like

Hi Agnivade, thanks for pointing me to the talk plugins.

I installed the mattermost-plugin-talk plugin, the system console says: OK, plugin is running! Unfortunately in the Windows desktop client the whole section “Voice Connection” (see screenshot) is lacking. I double checked in the web client: Same case, section is lacking. Also in the menus or sub-menus I couldn’t find related options to enable or display the section. For evaluation I run the “community” version of Mattermost server on a CentOS 8 system. Does the plugin only work on a paid version?

What do you mean by lacking? Do you expect something that is not there?

In any case, I’d suggest you to raise an issue in the plugin’s GitHub repo directly. The plugin author can better help you.

Hey arminV, we just announced public beta for voice calling and screen sharing that is available out-of-the-box! Here’s the blog post: Introducing Voice Calling and Screen Sharing in Channels - Mattermost

You can check it out by creating a Cloud workspace or v7.0+ for self-hosted.

Hello how are you?
I’m testing the new calling and screen sharing functionality, but I’m having issues. Using a local Linux server for Mattermost, when making calls between web users on Windows, it doesn’t work, when clicking on the “Start Call” button nothing happens. I can start a call if I make it directly from the Linux server, but when I click the “Join Call” button in Windows again nothing happens. I was only able to make the call using the Linux server and the mobile app for Android. Could it be a problem that hasn’t been fixed yet or is there any configuration to be done so that you can use this tool?

Hi,

this sometimes happens when the client is unable to detect audio devices. Can you make sure that the operating system detects the audio devices properly and please also verify that you use at least client version 5.0 (even better would be 5.1.1 on the desktops) when trying to use calls.