Updated installation method

Dear forum members,

i’m trying to setup mattermost server on a linux debian VM for production use.
From the documentation i understand that we need 3 components, a database server (postgres or mysql) , web server (apache or nginx) and the actual mattermost server.

I have tried using the docker compose method, and i wasn’t able to start 2 containers , with status “restarting”. after several checks and attempts with no progress.

Then i gave a try to the normal deployment on linux debian using the documentation and with mysql database. the error this time is the mattermost server not able to find the database, even i follow all instructions and change in the .json file all the variables according documentation.

Is there any other guide i can follow to have the system up and running ?

Hi Bambos and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

Are you planing to deploy a server solely for Mattermost? If so I strongly suggest to use the Omnibus deployment method which is by far the easiest one (also when it comes to updates in the future).

Hello Alex @agriesser thanks for your comment.
on the first curl command there is an error :
user@debian:~$ sudo curl -o- https://deb.packages.mattermost.com/repo-setup.sh | sudo bash
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 6078 100 6078 0 0 6745 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 6738
ERROR: Unsupported ubuntu release: “bullseye”

is there any workaround for that ? or should i go one linux version back ?

Unfortunately, the Omnibus installation only support Ubuntu and not Debian, forgot to mention that, sorry.
So if it’s OK for you to use an Ubuntu distribution, you can set up an Ubuntu 20.04 which will be supported by this installation method.
To cite from the install document I linked:

Mattermost Omnibus currently supports Ubuntu’s bionic and focal distributions.

Bionic = 18.04
Focal = 20.04

Hi again,

I dug a bit deeper here and found out that the documentation was not up2date; the Omnibus setup also supports Ubuntu Jammy (22.xx) now, so a recent Ubuntu release is also supported and just because I wanted to see if this would work, I also added unofficial support for Debian 11 (PR has been created, not sure if it will be accepted):

Using this modified repo-setup.sh script, I did successfully install and configure Mattermost Omnibus on a Debian 11 (bullseye) system. You might want to give it a try, but it probably will not be officially supported by Mattermost.

@agriesser Thank you Alex for your effort, for now i just went with Focal distro so we can try the system internally. Looks slick !

Thanks for your feedback and support.

Alright, thanks for the update! If you ever want to try it again, let me know :slight_smile: So is it safe to assume that you’re up&running with the Omnibus setup now and that we can mark this thread as solved?