Upgrading Mattermost on ‪Debian 8.11‬

Hello, Running into an issue when trying to update Mattermost from 5.13.1 to 5.25.0 .

CP: Plesk

Fairly new to command line usage but advanced knowledgeable enough to be catching on.

Using Redirect as guide: receiving an error at step 5 that says

Failed to stop mattermost.service: Unit mattermost.service not loaded.

Any help and advisement on how to continue with upgrade would be appreciated

Hi, @ashleys

Since the error mentioned that mattermost.service was not loaded, can you confirm that the status as of now?

sudo systemctl status mattermost.service

Also, can you confirm the content of the mattermost.service as well?

cat /lib/systemd/system/mattermost.service

I am just trying to understand if there was a mattermost service that was set up in the first place. Thanks.

Thanks for responding @ahmaddanial

It’s up and running at: https://patentventures.dev/mattermost

Attaching the results

mattermost.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

cat: /lib/systemd/system/mattermost.service: No such file or directory

But also after some investigation here’s what I found in Plesk. Seems to be a different name?

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 6.01.46 AM|690x347

Hi, @ashleys

You are welcome. The error means that there was no mattermost service configured in the first place to use systemd for starting and stopping the service.

I can confirm that the instance is up and running on my end too:

Moving back to the upgrade process, may I know how Mattermost was installed? Were you referring to the Installing Mattermost on Debian originally? Since step 5 in the upgrade documentation only highlights for Ubuntu and RHEL, I don’t think it applies in this case.

Also, what happens when you stop the Mattermost service from Plesk and proceed with the upgrade? Does it go through?

@ahmaddanial ahh I understand.

It was installed using the Plesk extensions catalog

And no I didn’t try stop the service from Plesk. I was afraid of messing something up.
Should I try to proceed with the update instructions, skipping #5, and using Plesk to stop and restart the service?

Hi, @ashleys

As long as you have the Mattermost backup handy for roll backs, I’d say go for it.

If you have run into any issues along the way, capture the mattermost.log and the error that you are seeing on your end (console and UI). Roll back if necessary.

hi @ahmaddanial,

I think it went through. How do I check the version? In the mobile app it says the serve version is 5.25 but just wanted to make sure that was correct.

Hello, @ashleys

Log in to the desktop / web app. Click on the 3 line icon and open up About Mattermost. You should be able to confirm that it is upgraded properly. For example:

Does it show the right one?