Adding default channels

Hello to all,

I would also like to be able to add channels in addition to the only two existing ones, I installed Mattermost for an association and there will be complete neophytes of the data-processing tools, it is thus necessary that all is the most transparent possible and with only 2 channels of opened by defect I know in advance that that will pose problem

I’m the administrator of the server where Mattermost is, so if ever I have to go and modify some conf files there won’t be any problem.

I saw that at least one similar topic had been opened here https://forum.mattermost.com/t/modify-default-channel-for-new-users/11544, unfortunately no solutions at the time had been found, maybe it’s different today?

Thanks in advance to all,

Hi @Traedwen and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

The ExperimentalDefaultChannels option works, I’ve used it a few times since my answer in the post back then, not sure what was the problem at this time, but you can use it and it does exactly what you expect it to do.

Would populating a list of default channels for everyone in a config file work for you? The problem with this option is, that it only applies to new users, so if there’s a new channel you create after a user has already been created, they will not automatically be joined to the new channel, this is a manual task then and you’d have to invite them all into the channels.

Using channel actions, you can also configure what category to create for the users to put the channels in, if that’s of interest for you.

What file do I need to set the ExperimentalDefaultChannels config in please?