Change Private Channels to Public - Mattermost Team Edition

Hi Team,

I am looking for the option to change Private Channels to Public. I am using the Mattermost Team edition - Version 5.37. I could see that Mattermost has the option to change public channels to Private but I am looking for the other option. Thank you in advance for the support.

Hello, @Sandeep

May I know if you have checked on the documentation here?

Due to security concerns with sharing Private channel history, only System Admins can convert Private channels to Public channels via System Console > Channels > Edit (Channel Configuration) . Alternatively, perform this action using the mmctl channel modify command.

You should be able to perform the conversion as a System Administrator respectively through the UI or through the mmctl tool. Let me know how it goes on your end.

Hi @ahmaddanial ,

Thank you for the update.

I have checked this documentation, but not seeing the ‘channels’ options mentioned in the system console. Could you please let me know why is it so?

Hi, @Sandeep

Can you please confirm what you are seeing on your end? I want to confirm if the reason why you are getting on your side is due to the current license that you are using.

Please confirm on this by clicking on System Console > Edition and License.

Hi @ahmaddanial ,

Please see the screenshot below. I am not having the channels options as mentioned.

Hello, @Sandeep

Got it. The absence of the Channel Management option on the left-handside of the System Console is due to the current license that you are on, which is the Team Edition.

While you should be able to perform the conversion using either the CLI method or the mmctl command I mentioned earlier, please let me know how it goes on your end.