CRT is still on the Beta version after upgrade from 6.7 to 7.2.0 version

Hi,

I recently upgrade Mattermost’s self-hosted version from 6.7 to 7.2.0 and enabled CRT but still, it is showing that CRT is in the beta version, and the option to enable or disable is

still available under Experimental → Features instead of under Site Configuration → Posts.

See the attached screenshot CRT -1.png where the CRT option is available under Experimental → features.

crt-2

crt-3.png shows that the CRT is still in the early beta stage.

A crt-2.png screenshot shows the DB version and the MM version. Do let me know if any further information is needed or not.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover

Hi Ankush,

this is interesting, also the Database Schema Version shown in your screen looks strange. It should read 90 here, instead of 7.2.0.

Can you please run the following SQL query on your database and let me know what version is being returned on your system:

mysql> select max(Version) from db_migrations;
+--------------+
| max(Version) |
+--------------+
|           90 |
+--------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Also, please grep for thread in your config.json:

# grep -i thread /opt/mattermost/config/config.json
        "ThreadAutoFollow": true,
        "CollapsedThreads": "enabled",

After the upgrade to 7.2.0, did you follow the recommendation to change a value in system console, and without saving, change it back and click on save for a new configuration file to be written?

Hi Alexander,

Here is the output of the queries. Thanks for your help.

select max(Version) from db_migrations;
±-------------+
| max(Version) |
±-------------+
| 90 |
±-------------+

grep -i thread config.json
“ThreadAutoFollow”: true,
“CollapsedThreads”: “default_off”,

After the upgrade, I disabled the Calling feature so ideally, that should push the changes to the config.json otherwise I made a change, revert it back, and then click on the save.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover

This is very interesting - could it be that a cache is playing tricks on you here? Did you try a different browser or a private browsing tab or deleting all website data for your Mattermost domain or purging the cache of the reverse proxy in front of it just to rule out that you’re getting a stale view here?

I emptied the Nginx cache directory and restarted Nginx. I have a test environment that is running 7.1.2 version and an upgrade on the test environment was done from 6.7.1 to 7.1.2 version and it has the same issue of CRT which is showing as the beta version. The CRT options are not listed under Posts but rather under Experimental Feature. Maybe I am missing a step or two while doing the upgrade.

When I do the upgrade, I copy the config.json file from the old version into the new version mattermost config directory. Is this the right way to do or there is some other way I need to follow?

2nd if I compare the original config.json file that came with version 7.2.0 and with my old config.json file of Production then the “CollapsedThreads” is true under “FeatureFlag” whereas it is missing for the current config.json file which is in use on the Production environment.

(Original 7.2.0 config.json file)
grep -Ri “thread” config.json_org
“CollapsedThreads”: “always_on”,
“CollapsedThreads”: true,

Presently used config.json on the Production Environment

grep -Ri “thread” config.json

This is OK, as long as you do that before starting the new Mattermost server version for the first time.

The configuration option should only occur once in the config.json. In all my systems, it’s directly in the ServiceSettings section, but if you have a vanilla 7.2.0 config.json file around, could you run the following command and post the output here, please?

diff -Nur /path/to/original-config.json /path/to/your-config.json

This will produce a diff output so we can see where the differences are. Please make sure to mask sensitive information like IP addresses, domainnames, passwords, etc.

Here is the comparison of the original config.json of 7.2.0 and my config.json file

All the whitespaces seem to be different, sorry, I didn’t anticipate that. Please run again, ignoring whitespaces, that is:

diff -Nurw config.json_org config.json

thanks!

Updated the Gist file: Comparing config.json files · GitHub

Thanks - I’m not sure where the FeatureFlags section is coming from, still need to find some documentation about that, but can you try to remove the - "CollapsedThreads": true, line from the FeatureFlags section, reload the config (or restart the server) and see if that changes the behaviour, please?

FeatureFlags section is part of the original 7.2.0 config.json file and it is not there in the config.json of the Production environment.

Sorry, I should stop doing too many things in parallel.
I can confirm what you’re seeing - when starting a fresh installation, the feature flags are being written to the config.json for both the team and enterprise edition (7.2.0, vanilla install).

After logging in to the system console, I can see the CRT feature in both sections, Posts and Experimental and the setting is mirrored there, so when I change it in Posts it gets automatically also changed in Experimental:

Can you confirm that you can also see the configuration settings in both sections?

Update: I asked around and was directed to the jira ticket MM-45905 - so this issue is already known and will be fixed in one of the next releases.

CRT settings are not available under “Posts” and only available under “Experimental → Features”.

I upgraded to the 7.4.0 version and still CRT option does not appear under “Posts” but under “Experimental → features” and this ticket is closed MM-45905. Can someone provide the fix for the issue? Please let me know what more information is needed.

select max(Version) from db_migrations;
±-------------+
| max(Version) |
±-------------+
| 93 |
±-------------+

grep -i thread config.json

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover