Disabling user email notifications by default

Hello, @skole9299

Thank you for providing the details. In regards to the statement here:

Having push notifications is enough, we do not need an email for every DM or mention. Just imagine that for every WhatsApp message you get an email, no one needs that.

Definitely. Hence, that is the reason why you are allowed to tailor the email notification according to your preference on the client preference and the mails will only be sent when you are offline / away from Mattermost for more than 5 minutes. Else, it will be too spammy.

On our app we do not have an option to click on save

This is an interesting point. Can you please confirm on the environment that you are running on?

• OS version
  • Mattermost version
  • Client version (desktop & mobile)

The reason why I want to go through these points is because I checked through the Mac & Linux client (as well as web client) and verified that there should be a button available to Save the preference you set.

On the mobile side, this is how it looks like on the iOS client:

Perhaps you are referring to the mobile client here? May I know if you are able to share the screen shot of what you are seeing on your end?

Additionally, I would like to see if we can poke the database for more information on the notification preference. Can you run the following SQL command and share the output here?
SELECT NotifyProps FROM Users WHERE email = "<email_address>";

For comparison, I will share the example that I have when I have the toggle set to each option:

Immediately
mysql> SELECT NotifyProps FROM Users WHERE email = "<email_address>";
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NotifyProps |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| {"channel":"true","comments":"never","desktop":"mention","desktop_sound":"true","email":"true","first_name":"false","mention_keys":"adanial,@adanial","push":"mention","push_status":"away"} |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Never
mysql> SELECT NotifyProps FROM Users WHERE email = "<email_address>";
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NotifyProps |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| {"auto_responder_active":"false","auto_responder_message":"Hello, I am out of office and unable to respond to messages.","channel":"true","comments":"never","desktop":"mention","desktop_sound":"true","email":"false","first_name":"false","mention_keys":"adanial","push":"mention","push_status":"away"} |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

That will help us to confirm if the preference was indeed saved into the system properly. Thanks!