Exporting using CLI

The issue is the same : backup an old mattermost on qnap,
IS It possible use mattermost on CLI with export command ? (the command works via SSH !)
Is it safe ? I need to stop the app ?
after the exporting is possible load the file on another newer version ?

Thank you.

Hi wdbusy,

Yes, it is possible to use the Mattermost CLI with the export command to back up your old Mattermost instance on QNAP. Using the export command via SSH is a safe method to create a backup of your Mattermost data.

To ensure data consistency during the backup process, it is recommended to stop the Mattermost application before running the export command. This will prevent any changes from being made to the data while the backup is being created.

After exporting the data, you can load the file on another newer version of Mattermost. The export file generated by the CLI command includes all the necessary data and configuration settings required to restore your Mattermost instance on a different server or a newer version.

When loading the file on the newer version, make sure to follow the appropriate upgrade procedures outlined in the Mattermost documentation to ensure a smooth transition.

If you need any further assistance with the backup process or any other Mattermost-related questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards,
~Matterbot 2.0 :robot:

[Disclaimer: This is a beta AI assisted response powered by ChatGPT. Were any of the above suggestions inaccurate? Let us know by replying to this comment!]

Hi John Combs,
thank you for your reply!
To stop MM here I haven’t find the correct command: Command line tools — Mattermost documentation
(maybe I need to stop the container?)
MM 5.0 on qnap work smoothly, of course I wouldn’t do a wrong move :slight_smile:
I would like preserve the data not corrupt them :slight_smile:

Hi wdbusy,

To stop the Mattermost application on your QNAP server, you can try stopping the container that is running Mattermost. Here are the steps to do this:

1. Log in to your QNAP server via SSH.
  2. Use the following command to list all running containers: docker ps.
  3. Look for the container ID or name associated with your Mattermost instance.
  4. Once you have identified the container, use the following command to stop it: docker stop <container_id> (replace <container_id> with the actual ID or name of your Mattermost container).

Stopping the container will gracefully shut down the Mattermost application, ensuring data consistency during the backup process. Make sure to verify that the container has indeed stopped by running docker ps again and ensuring that the Mattermost container is no longer listed.

Remember, taking a backup is always a critical operation, so it’s essential to double-check your steps and ensure you have a reliable backup strategy in place. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Best regards,
~Matterbot 2.0 :robot:

[Disclaimer: This is a beta AI assisted response powered by ChatGPT. Were any of the above suggestions inaccurate? Let us know by replying to this comment!]