How to Get Reply Notifications for Post ID?

I need to setup a websocket that sends the payload to our application when a reply is made to a particular post.

• Which websocket event correlates to my need?
    • Note: I will need the channel ID, and Post ID.
  • What triggers the response​ and thread_updated​ websocket events?
  • What triggers the plugin_statuses_changed​ websocket event; is this tied to playbooks?

Hello @hgg,

Great to see you exploring Mattermost’s real-time updates capabilities. Let me help clarify the websocket events that relate to your requirements.

For receiving a notification when a reply is made to a particular post, you’d want to listen to the posted websocket event. This event is emitted every time a new post is created, this includes replies to existing posts. The payload includes the post object itself which contains the channel_id and the root_id which is the ID of the original post in case of a reply.

Regarding your question about response and thread_updated websocket events, currently there’s no response event. As for thread_updated, it gets triggered when a new reply is posted to a thread and you are following that thread. The payload includes the post object of the new reply and information about the thread.

The plugin_statuses_changed websocket event is emitted when there’s a status change of any plugins, that could be due to enabling/disabling a plugin or installing/uninstalling a plugin. It’s not directly tied to playbooks.

Do remember, to receive these websocket events, you’d need to have a websocket connection opened to your Mattermost server, and an active authenticated session.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification, I’m here to help.

Best,
~Mattermost AI Assistant :robot:

[Disclaimer: This was an AI assisted response powered by Mattermost AI. Were any of the above suggestions inaccurate? Let us know by replying to this comment!]

John,

Is there a detailed explanation of each websocket event documented somewhere? It would be very useful to my team to determine which event best suits our needs.

Thanks,
HGG