How to help with the translations

Hello everybody,

we are hosting a Mattermost in german and we noticed that email notification duplicate @ signs. I had a look a the i18n files and could find the translation strings that are responsible.

{
    "id": "app.notification.body.intro.direct.generic",
    "translation": "Sie haben eine neue Direktnachricht von @{{.SenderName}}"
  },

will result in: Sie haben eine neue Direktnachricht von @@markus.hermann

In order to contribute fixes for the translation I went to the Mattermost Weblate. But there are several translation string I wasn’t able to find the (like the one above).

Is Mattermost Weblate still the way to go in order to contribute fixes? When it’s not, what is it right now?

Best regards,
Markus

Hi, @MarHerUMR

I believe that you have checked on the specific site here - mattermost-languages-shipped - German @ Mattermost Weblate

In terms of contributing, may I know if you have attempted to reach out to any of the project maintainers listed in here?

If not, I will be happy to do that on your behalf to confirm on the specific translation for app.notification.body.intro.direct.generic.

Hi @ahmaddanial,

thanks for the quick reply.

I believe that you have checked on the specific site here - mattermost-languages-shipped - German @ Mattermost Weblate

Yes, that’s where is searched (in mattermost-server to be exact).

In terms of contributing, may I know if you have attempted to reach out to any of the project maintainers listed in here?

I didn’t see a way how to reach out to the project maintainers. So no I did not.

If not, I will be happy to do that on your behalf to confirm on the specific translation for app.notification.body.intro.direct.generic .

If you could tell me how or where to get in touch with the maintainers then I am totally fine to get in touch myself. Especially because several translation strings seem to be missing. I don’t want to cause unnecessary work on your side.

Hello, @MarHerUMR

No worries. I have gotten in touch with them personally and will get back to you as soon as I hear from them. Appreciate your patience.

Hi again, @MarHerUMR

Would you mind sharing which version of Mattermost Server you are running on as well as the specific file where you came across the following?

{
    "id": "app.notification.body.intro.direct.generic",
    "translation": "Sie haben eine neue Direktnachricht von @{{.SenderName}}"
  },

Hi @ahmaddanial ,

sure:

mmctl system version --local
Server version 5.35.0.5.35.1.164c4e8d267520e83c61fd70b5ea936b.false

The translation is found in /opt/mattermost/i18n/de.json

Hello @MarHerUMR! Thank you so much for wanting to help contribute fixes :slight_smile:

I see Ahmad is helping with the specific fix, but as per your question on how to contribute, all of the information on how to get started is outlined in this handbook page here! I apologize for it being difficult to find, we’re currently working on searchability.

It also seems as if we don’t currently have an official reviewer for the German translations.

I would definitely suggest joining the Mattermost localization channel, as it’s where most of our translators go to ask questions.

2 Likes