How to include a remote picture?

Hi, I am trying to include a picture. The documentation is clear:

To add an image, add an exclamation mark (! ), followed by alt text in brackets, and the path or URL to the image asset in parentheses. You can optionally add a title in quotation marks after the path or URL.

But the reality is that it does not work for me. And all the examples I found are pointing to a local image.

Here is one not working example:

![Kanoistika] (https://www.kanoistika.sk/pict/bar.gif)

Thanks for a help.

Dodiak

Hi @dodiak and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

There must not be a space between the brackets:

![Kanoistika](https://www.kanoistika.sk/pict/bar.gif)

This works and produces the following output:
grafik
grafik

Thanks Alexander,
that was a typo I made when creating an WW usable example.
But my problem is something else since it’s still not working. It does work above as you described but it does not work with some different server via VPN. I am trying to find out what’s wrong.
Dodo

That’s most likely a client problem then, from a Mattermost point of view this is what needs to be done and is working. Would be interesting to know how a different client/VPN could affect that behaviour…

In my case it’s not a different vpn client but a different configuration. I was just a bit investigating with a colleague of mine and for him it works. We are both using openvpn but he has some extra “magic” in his vpn config file:
#script-security 2
#up /etc/openvpn/update-systemd-resolved
#down /etc/openvpn/update-systemd-resolved
#down-pre

But is it really a vpn when I can see the picture in a browser? (Putting pic URL into address bar)
I already tried to pass by the vpn by using proxy with “ssh -D 3128” and taking vivaldi with --proxy option. Still the same. No pics. I am really puzzled.

Dodo

My understanding of how this works is that the remote image is being fetched by your Mattermost client when it encounters the code in a channel, so this should be a client issue here I think. Can you reproduce this using the Mattermost webapp and what about ctrl-shift-r(eloading) the channel where you posted this picture in after you switched to vpn?