While a number of organizations, supported directly by the Mattermost team, run Beta1 in production, production deployment is not recommended until Beta2, scheduled for release October 2, 2015, which includes new administration, upgrade and migration tools.
That said, the Mattermost team has documented Beta1 configuration settings, noting some anticipated changes for Beta2, for users who wish to run in production.
If you’re going to install in production, propose trying:
- Download compiled version of Mattermost 0.7.0 Beta1
- Setup machine with Ubunto 14.04 with 2GB of RAM or similar
- Install and configure Ngnix as a proxy to Mattermost (copy gitlab ngix config file or something similar)
install SSL cert
Configure proxy pass thru
- Potentially on a separate box install Postgres 9.3+ or MySQL 5.6+
- Create a database using following SQL commands:
CREATE DATABASE mattermost; CREATE USER mmuser WITH PASSWORD 'mostest'; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE mattermost to mmuser;
- Replace and configure SQL settings section of config.json file with:
"DriverName": "mysql", "DataSource": "mmuser:mostest@tcp(localhost:3306)/mattermost?charset=utf8mb4,utf8", "DataSourceReplicas": ["mmuser:mostest@tcp(localhost:3306)/mattermost?charset=utf8mb4,utf8"],
"DriverName": "postgres", "DataSource": "postgres://mmuser:password@localhost:5432/mattermost?sslmode=disable&connect_timeout=10", "DataSourceReplicas": ["postgres://mmuser:password@localhost:5432/mattermost?sslmode=disable&connect_timeout=10"],
- Set up email notifications
- On Ubuntu configure upstart to manage the mattermost process. (or something similar using systemd) copy following lines to /etc/init/mattermost.conf
start on runlevel  stop on runlevel  respawn chdir /home/ubuntu/mattermost setuid ubuntu exec bin/platform
- sudo start mattermost
No guarantees on being able to migrate your Beta1 archives to Beta2, since all the new export and migration tools are for Beta2 and up.
Any issues with these instructions, please post so we can improve our docs for Beta2.