Mattermost Desktop behind socks proxy

Hi,
I would like to use mattermost desktop app behind socks proxy, is it possible?

I work on linux (Manjaro) and I have an socks5 proxy running and would like to use that for app.

Regards.

1 Like

Yes, please. For self-hosted, this is important.

In my case (Manjaro with KDE) I had to configure the proxy server in KDEs settings which mattermost-desktop respects.

I found some cli parameters for the desktop app in this README (not sure why they aren’t documented anywhere else) that you can use. You need to edit the .desktop file for mattermost-desktop to add CLI parameters on startup:

cat /usr/share/applications/mattermost-desktop.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Mattermost
Comment=Mattermost Desktop application
Exec=mattermost-desktop --proxy-server=socks5://ip:port

Edit: screenshot from the README

1 Like

Hi @LimitX , welcome to the Mattermost forums and thanks for pointing out the solution!

I’ll alert the documentation team to take a look at this discrepancy and make sure those settings are better documented. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello! The Mattermost Documentation team has reviewed this docs request with Mattermost Engineering. This is something that Mattermost doesn’t officially support, so the product documentation won’t be updated with this information.

The Desktop App is using standard Electron command-line arguments which are presumably supported by any Electron app: Supported Command Line Switches | Electron.