Mobile devices always showing as offline

When using Mattermost on iPhone and iPad it always seems as though it’s offline and ‘connecting…’

Is there a way to show as online all the time if the app is open as it appears that I am offline to colleagues when I am active.

Any ideas how to resolve?

@Graham Can you help take a look at this troubleshooting doc: https://docs.mattermost.com/mobile/mobile-troubleshoot.html#i-see-a-connecting-bar-that-does-not-go-away?

Hello, @Graham

I experience the same behavior that you shared where I was actually active in the mobile app but my status icon in the conversation does not show the :white_check_mark: icon. However, it is not constantly reproducible and it will just go away after I set my status back to Online.

Can you please share the Mattermost Server and Mattermost iOS app version that you are using so I can try to reproduce it since you mentioned that it always shows that you are offline and connecting?

May I know if you also experience this when you are connected through various network (mobile data vs. WiFi connection)?

@amy.blais Thanks but your recommended doc did not help. However I have asked my IT team about “server uses NGINX”.

@ahmaddanial I am using Mattermost V1.23.1 on an iPhone 7 Plus with IOS 12.4.1. On my iPad I have the same V1.23.1 version of Mattermost and am running IOS 10.3.3.

It does not matter if I am using 4G or Wifi, on mobile or Ipad, the issue is the same. The grey connecting bar stays on permanently and I’m classed as Offline. I click on the 3 dots in the top right corner and click on the Offline bar to change status. I select Online and it goes Green tick for 2 seconds and then drops back to Offline again.

Sorry I am new to Mattermost and not sure I should share the server I am using as unsure of the risks of giving this information out. Hopefully you can review what I have written and provide insight should you see a common thread.

Here is another troubleshooting doc that may help: https://docs.mattermost.com/install/troubleshooting.html#user-statuses-get-stuck-on-away-or-offline-status.

I met the same issue on android mobile 2.1.0 (Build 2000461) with Server Version 7.9.1.

The mobile app will offline quickly even I added it to disabled power saving list.

I’m not sure what’s the problem and I checked mobile app changelog, Mattermost mobile apps changelog — Mattermost documentation, I see the item “Added support for changing the mobile client status to offline when the app loses connection.” in 1.15 mobile release" . so I’m wondering it might be the issue that a mobile app lost connection?

For now I already disable power saving option, the status still change to offline after I switch to another android application and I’m pretty sure the mattermost application doesn’t hibernate.

We need team member show status online when his mobile application is opened , so this is the case really anonying.

Hi @roadt and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

2.1.0 is not the most recent version, can you please upgrade to 2.2.0 and see if this helps with the issue you’re seeing before we investigate further on that issue?

Thank you, Agriesser, glad to be here & thanks for building Mattermost platform! I checked latest 2.2.0 (build 2000462) on Android with with Sever 7.9.1, after switch to another application, mattermost still become offline quickly. and after that, I switched it back and forth, it still & always keeps offline.

Thanks for confirming.

Can you please provoke that behaviour again and write down the time when that happened. Afterwards, please click on the profile picture in the bottom right of your app, then on “Settings” and '“Report a problem” at the bottom to send yourself the logs of the application via e-mail. Attach them to your next post here or extract the relevant logs around the time you noted and post them here (please make sure it doesn’t contain sensitive information like URLs, usernames, etc.).