Updating MM docker container

I have an installation of MM using docker-compose, and I am pulling the latest tag as indicated in my env file:

MATTERMOST_IMAGE_TAG=latest

Couple of questions:
1.what is the recommended way of updating this docker installation?
I found the option to update straight from the web site under system console > workspace optimization > server updates, but is this something I should click if I am using docker? (I don’t want to break my installation so making sure this is ok)

2 How do I check the version I am running?
Inspecting the container using sudo docker inspect matter-mattermost-1 does not reveal any tag with a version number in it. And in the web, system console > about only shows that my plan is “Team Edition” but does not disclose a version anywhere.

If you are in the default Mattermost view, seeing Teams, Channels, etc., then you click in the top left corner, where it says “Channels”, then you pick “About ”.

There it tells you the exact Mattermost version.

I guess, upgrading should work the same, as if it weren’t Docker, but you should create a full backup before any upgrade, anyway!

ad 1)
When you click on the “Download update” button, it will just direct you to Mattermost website where you can download new binaries and this is not the way to update your docker depoyment.
Chaning the MATTERMOST_IMAGE_TAG in your .env file is the way to go, although I just found out that latest points to 7.8.0 right now, although it should point to 7.8.1

ad 2)
You can also use mmct for that - not sure if you’ve already set it up to work in local mode, but it’s very handy for lots of things.

# docker exec <yourmattermostcontainerid> mmctl --local system version
Server version 7.8.1.7.8.1.bad2b9b08677eeb9d63e565a28350d8e.false

Thanks for the response. My installation is running from docker. What do you mean to set it up to work in local mode? using the mmctl command or is there an extra step to work in “local mode”?

You are right. I found it!

Yes, you can configure the variable EnableLocalMode in your config.json and restart the server afterwards. If you do that, you can use mmctl --local which bypasses authentication (since it connects via the UNIX socket created after enabling this option). If you do not use the local mode, you need to regularly login to your Mattermost server using mmctl auth.