"Value changed successfully" but not changed

Summary

Can’t enable plugin uploads

Steps to reproduce

• Using mattermost omnibus
  • Try to change PluginSettings.EnableUploads: sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config set PluginSettings.EnableUploads true
  • Check if it changed: sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config get PluginSettings.EnableUploads
  • Be confused

Expected behavior

I expect sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config get PluginSettings.EnableUploads to return true

Observed behavior

I observed sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config get PluginSettings.EnableUploads returned false

ubuntu@ip-172-26-3-183:~$ sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config set PluginSettings.EnableUploads true
Value changed successfully
ubuntu@ip-172-26-3-183:~$ sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config get PluginSettings.EnableUploads
false

Can you confirm that your Mattermost files are owned by the correct system user(s), and have read/write permissions?

i don’t think that’s relevant as i thought the config is in the db

ubuntu@ip-172-26-3-183:~$ sudo -u mattermost find /opt/mattermost/ -not -user mattermost
ubuntu@ip-172-26-3-183:~$ sudo -u mattermost find /opt/mattermost/ -not -perm -u+rw
ubuntu@ip-172-26-3-183:~$ sudo -u postgres find /var/lib/postgresql/ -not -user postgres 
ubuntu@ip-172-26-3-183:~$ sudo -u postgres find /var/lib/postgresql/ -not -perm -u+rw

all commands return nothing so i assume that all files are owned by the correct user(s), and have read/write permissions.

And do you have the proper permissions given to your reverse proxy server, so that it is allowed in turn to pass files to the server through the Mattermost Daemon? There aren’t any security policies or file upload restrictions/WAF’s blocking or intercepting your files?

i’m not sure i know what you’re asking. i don’t have an option to upload files because it’s disabled. i can’t seem to enable it.

there is no proxy in front of the mattermost server, beyond what omnibus may have setup.

Hello, @jayenashar

EnableUploads is configured through /etc/mattermost/mmomni.yml. In this case, you have to set enable_plugin_uploads to true and run mmomni reconfigure to apply the changes.

You can check a list of the configuration properties that are set through the mmomni.yml config file here. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

thanks. i didn’t encounter either of those when i was searching through the docs. i only found /opt/mattermost/config/config.json and the db.

Hello, the problem still exists, although I run the mmomni reconfigure command, after starting Mattermost again, it still does not allow you to upload plugins from the web console, it is disabled.

And when checking with sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config get PluginSettings.EnableUploads keeps giving false . What may be going on? I’ve even edited the file with vim in the plugins section by removing the word false and changing to true and it doesn’t work either.

Thanks in advance, but I do not see useful to use Omnibus if it does not allow you to edit the settings or upload plugins such as amazon translate, bigbluebutton, and others that are not in the market unfortunately.

Ok, I have already been able to change the settings, I had to access the directory in /etc/mattermost and edit as I show here:
nexus@nex-Ubuntu:/etc/mattermost$ sudo edit mmomni.yml to be able to modify with vi editor and save changes. After restarting with mmomni reconfigure, I already see the parameter saved in “true” as checked with sudo -u mattermost mmctl --local config get PluginSettings.EnableUploads

Thank you and sorry for not having understood that you had to enter to edit in the directory where mmomni.yml is hosted

1 Like

Hello ahmaddanial, I don’t know if you can help me… This post talks about this topic but more focused on how to change the listening port of Mattermost with omnibus, where on the console you can not touch any of this, how can I do it?

Thanks again.

i think you can change the 443 here:

/etc/nginx/conf.d/mattermost.conf:        listen 443 ssl http2;
/etc/nginx/conf.d/mattermost.conf:      listen [::]:443 ssl http2;

alternatively, if you only need another port, i would suggest a new nginx file that proxies to localhost:443. because /etc/nginx/conf.d/mattermost.conf may get reset on upgrade

1 Like