Developer Setup Guide Failing at many points

I am setting up my Dev environment according to the guide https://developers.mattermost.com/contribute/developer-setup/

I have made come progress. Originally I was getting an error at
Failed to start up plugins","error":"mkdir ./client/plugins: The system cannot find the path specified.

But I was able to get past that by launching a babun CLI and removing the client folder that seems to be a symlink or something (colored green) and manually creating it and the plugins folder. The server will then start.

However if I try a ‘make run’ to get the web UI as well the whole thing falls flat on its face. I end up fighting with NPM issues in the client

Unhandled rejection Error: Command failed: C:\Users\tcurtis\.babun\cygwin\bin\git.EXE clone --mirror -q git://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-redux.git C:\Users\tcurtis\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_cacache\tmp\git-clone-df674977\.git --config core.longpaths=true /cygdrive/c/Users/tcurtis/AppData/Roaming/npm-cache/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-df674977/C:\Users\tcurtis\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_cacache\tmp\git-clone-df674977\.git: No such file or directory

I was able to around this by changing the required commit in the package.json and lock file. However I am now falling flat due to what seems to be a babel issue

`> mattermost-redux@1.2.0 build C:\Users\tcurtis.babun\cygwin\home\tcurtis\go\src\github.com\mattermost\mattermost-webapp\node_modules\mattermost-redux

babel src --out-dir .

You have mistakenly installed the babel package, which is a no-op in Babel 6.
Babel’s CLI commands have been moved from the babel package to the babel-cli package.

npm uninstall -g babel
npm install --save-dev babel-cli

See @babel/cli · Babel for setup instructions.
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! mattermost-redux@1.2.0 build: babel src --out-dir .
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the mattermost-redux@1.2.0 build script.
`

I’m not sure if this is related to my environment or what. I am using Windows Pro running Docker for Windows. The containers for SQL and things all generate and start. The Web UI seems to be the final failure to prevent me from moving on. Thoughts?

1 Like

Hi @earlgrei!

I see you posted this also in the Dev channel - I’ll let our devs look at this or I’ll ping them if nobody replies to the channel post.

I haven’t worked with the Windows setup instructions much, but that first error message has /cygdrive/c/Users/tcurtis/AppData/Roaming/npm-cache/_cacache/tmp/git-clone-df674977/C:\Users\tcurtis\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_cacache\tmp\git-clone-df674977\.git which really stands out to me. It looks like it’s getting confused between cygwin and Windows paths and ending up mangling it somehow.

This StackOverflow question unfortunately doesn’t have an answer, but does this match the whole error that you were seeing? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42093346/npm-install-fails-when-package-is-installed-via-github