Easy install fail

I tried two of the “easy install” options shown on MM and I got nowhere.

I tried this supposed “one click” install:

https://docs.mattermost.com/install/deploy-bitnami.html

And basically got stuck after the instance was up but couldn’t connect, bad cert error, and there were really no “what now” steps in the docs, or i.e. what’s the first step?

Likewise, I tried the Beanstalk install:

https://docs.mattermost.com/install/docker-ebs.html

And basically gave up at step 14:

Failed to connect to mattermost-env.eba-qbnw4psg.us-east-2.elasticbeanstalk.com port 80: Connection refused

I successfully installed and got running the “omnibus” version from this page:

1 Like

It would seem that your web server wasn’t running, or listening on port 80. I’m glad to see you were able to get it online, is everything working as you desire it to function at this point?

Yes, so far using the “omnibus” version, I have email and push notifications working, and it looks like we are up and running.

In some sense, it’s probably a blessing that the other two ways failed because this config probably fits more with the organization.

Alright, well I’m glad everything got figured out, and In the event that you have any questions or issues that arise, please feel free to ask, I’ll be more than happy to help!

My first question is how to manage Plugin configuration in the omnibus version.

It says it doesn’t use the config.json file and instead uses the mmctl command. I used the web UI to install the Welcomebot but I haven’t enabled it yet. When I edit the config with the mmctl command,I don’t see a “Plugins” sections as described in the welcomebot config.json instructions.

"Plugins": {
    "com.mattermost.welcomebot": {

I don’t see any reference to welcomebot in the mmctl file at all. So in this case, with the omnibus version, how do we complete the welcomebot config that instructs us to edit the config.json file?

I guess we just add that section of the JSON to the file via the mmctl command?

I think this may be a question better suited to @amy.blais or @ahmaddanial, as I personally do not have very much experience with the finer details of the Mattermost Omnibus version.