Forward a direct message to another person (or channel)

The forwarding functionality introduced with version 7.2 is not enough.

In the daily business one of the most cases is:
A colleague sends you a direct message with some important informations maybe also with some documents as attachments.
And you would like to forward this message to another colleague, because you think also he needs this informations.
Now in mattermost you have to do the following:

• download the attachments of the original message.
  • copy the original text message
  • create a new direct message to the other colleague
  • paste the text message
  • attach the downloaded original attachments
  • send new direct message

Why not implement this functionality with a simple menu point that can forward a recieved direct message to another person (or channel)?

I suggest to implement this functionality because in my daily life and work with mattermost this function is one which I would need most and it would save me a lot of time (and I know a lot of other people who desire exactly this functionality also very hard) .

1 Like

Thanks for the request and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

I can see you already posted this at the user voice platform, which is a good place for such requests.
Also there have been some talks lately about the already existing message forward functionality and how it could be improved and there were lots of users who would want to have this feature just like you described it, so I’m positive that it will be implemented in this way in one of the next few versions.

Dear Agriesser,

I would like to add something to the above requirement:
We have a requirement to send a “direct message” to another user, regardless of which channel he belongs to.

However, we do not want to make this solution available to every user, i.e. the existing possibilities should remain as they are.

Is this additionally possible?

Best regards,
Helmut

Hi Helmut,

is this really the right thread? We’re in a thread with regards to message forwarding here and the initial post does not seem to be from you. Can you confirm?

Hello Aggrieser,

you are correct. User csa-it i not the originator of the initial message.
I am the originator of the initial message.

Best regards
g10085998

Hello Aggrieser. Are there any plans to solve this problem in the near future? Our company is faced with the same issue and the issue plays a crucial role in choosing a corporate messenger.

It seems to me that it may not be easy to implement a full-fledged message forwarding with all replies saved. Our company and possibly other companies would have quite enough functionality for copying messages. From the initial post, it seems that it is about copying a specific message to another recipient, and not a full-fledged message forwarding.

I haven’t dived into the code of mattermost, but perhaps the copying functionality can also be implemented as a plugin.

Additionally, the link to the user voice platform appears to be non-functional.

Sorry @agriesser, forgot to mention you in proper way.

Dear @john.combs.
I apologize for mentioning you in a different topic, but I noticed that the Aggrieser has been inactive since July 20th, 2023. Therefore, I am seeking to find out if anyone else has information on the status of the feature request regarding this matter.

Thank you for your attention. Best regards, tshipenchko