How to Export a Single Channel from Mattermost Server

Purpose

While the Bulk Export functionality on Mattermost Server only allow System Administrator to export the entire set of information of every channel, we need to have a way to export a single channel only too.

Solution

Steps

1. Download the compatible .tar.gz file from the plugin repository.
  2. After ensuring that "EnableUploads": true flag is set in config.json, upload the plugin through System Console > Plugin Management
  3. Enable the plugin and ensure that it is running:
  4. From the channel that you want to export the information from, type /export:
  5. The following confirmation is displayed on the screen:
  6. The channelexportbot will send you a DM once the export is ready (CSV format):
  7. The format of the data exported by the .csv is listed below:
|Post CreationTime|User Id|User Email|User Type|User Name|Post Id|Parent Post Id|Post Message|Post Type|
1 Like

hello, I don’t find “config.json” file, can you detail it please

Hey, Can you please detail it, please?

The config.json file is part of your server installation, so if you’re administering the server, you should already know where it is. If you followed the default instructions, it’s in /opt/mattermost/config/config.json, but that may differ depending on your deployment type. For some deployments, the configuration file might also not exist at all because the documentation has been moved to the database.

In order to help you find out where it is, I’d need to know a few more details about your deployment method used.

Last week i was looking for just this and couldn’t find it. But yesterday i did find this open source tool that exports all posts from a single channel GitHub - datadelft/MM.C.P.E.: The Streamlit Mattermost Channel Post Exporter