In client video player?

Summary

Does Mattermost have an in-client video player to play uploaded videos? If so, how do I enable it?

Steps to reproduce

Using version 4.8.0 with MySQL on CentOS 7.

Expected behavior

When a video file (namely mp4) is uploaded to Mattermost (not matter if in the web client via Chrome, OSX app, or Android app), the video file is sent as an attachment and has to be downloaded before anyone can view it. It was my understanding that Mattermost had a built-in video player, but I’ve not figured out how to enable/configure it to work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi @tycoonbob! Thank you for reaching out.

When you attach a video (mp4), you should be able to click on the left-hand side of the attachment, which opens the video (you will need to press “Play” though).

Let me know if this is not the behaviour you are seeing, or if I misunderstood anything!

Hi @amy.blais. Thanks for your reply, however that doesn’t appear to be the case for me.

Here’s an imgur album with screenshots and short descriptions.

This is done from the Mattermost OSX client, v4.0.1.45.

Frankly, I was expecting the attachment to show up like a Youtube link does:
Imgur

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi @tycoonbob!

It is possible that upgrading might help - would you like to try on our nightly build server and see if you experience anything different? This server is currently on 5.0.0-rc1, MySQL.

Let me know any questions!

Interestingly, it works on your 5.0.0-rc1 server, via Chrome and the MM OSX app I have installed. Is this supposed to be a default feature? Is there something that has to be enabled on the MM server-side? Are there any pre-reqs that must be installed for videos to play? I’m running my server on CentOS 7 so there’s a chance I missed a package, or I am using an older package of whatever handles the video player.

Please advise.

As a follow up, I’ve just updated MY MM 4.8.0 instance to 5.0.0-rc1 (MariaDB, CentOS 7) and I’m having the exact same issue. I’m going to spin up a Debian container and see if I experience the same behavior. I really feel like this is a package/dependency issue with CentOS 7.

@amy.blais Yeah, I’m 99.9% certain this is a CentoS 7 issue; likely a missing dependency or something. I just spun up a Debian 9 LXC, installed MySQL 5.7 and Mattermost 4.10.1 and videos are playing as expected in Chrome. Essentially the same configuration as my CentOS 7 instance (which is now on 5.0.0-rc1, but was 4.10.0, and 4.8.0 before that when MM was first installed).

Issue reported: https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/issues/8929