Video Preview (non-youtube)

Hello,

I wanted to know if there was a solution to showing non-youtube videos in an inline browser?

Right now it just presents an link for download.

Thank you.

We can’t watch MP4 videos in an inline browser, too.

We use:
Mattermost Team Edition (with Docker)
Version: 3.4.0 (3.4.0-rc2)

Hi guys, quick question what browser are you running? does it support the playback of mp4 files?

We have a fallback in place to show the download link in case there was an error loading the file or if the browser does not support it.

In most cases, our users are on Chrome.

I haven’t been able to repro, does this still happen to you guys?

Yes. It still has been occured.
I’ve tested by using Chrome/Firefox/IE (Windows7 64bit).

Hi @csduarte and @motoo.a,

Right now, Mattermost can only play videos that the browser reports are playable, so can you try downloading the video file, opening it directly in the browser with Ctrl+O (Cmd+O if you’re on a Mac), and seeing if it runs?

Hello,

I have the same issue as the users above. I am using Mattermost Team Edition (with Docker) version 4.6. I am unable to watch any video I upload no matter which device I try to view it in. The download link is showing on the latest desktop version and browsers, but I cannot view the video inline. When I try to play/download the video on any mobile device, it does nothing. It doesn’t even let you download. You can only view the play image. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi @usc1787,

Thanks for your feedback,

Can you share which mobile app you are using? Is it the classic app downloaded from the app store / play store?

I’ve tried to reproduce your issue on our nightly build server running off the latest master using the Mattermost app (not classic) from the app store and can confirm that an mp4 video plays for me on my iOS device. (After uploading a video file, you will first need to click on “download” to download it to your device and once it’s downloaded the “download” changes to a “play” button)

Getting this issue as well. I’m unable to play any mp4 file from the Web UI, all I’m getting is this:

<video src="foo.mp4"></video> plays OK on any web page, so my browser is definitely capable of playing mp4 videos.

I’m using chrome 64.0.3282.140 on Ubuntu Linux 17.10.

Mattermost server version: Version : 4.6.0 Enterprise Edition
Database : postgres

Version hash: 58defb7424773c75718f0173f4ace702cffa4f0e
EE version hash: 721817a2503c55d24da15aebb0181ec794012058
Compilation date: Tue Jan 16 00:00:18 UTC 2018

Hi @n1k0,

Thanks for your feedback,

I’m not able to reproduce your issue on our nightly build server running off the latest master.

I am able to play an .mp4 video directly in the channel (Win10, Chrome, Mattermost v4.7)

Could you try to reproduce the issue on the above server and let us know?

Perhaps upgrading to the latest version which released February 16th might also solve your issue.

1 Like

Yes the problem is fixed using the nightly server. I’m gonna ask our admin to upgrade the server, thanks!

Perfect, thanks for checking @n1k0 :slight_smile:

Hi Lindy,

Thank you for your response. I guess I missed the response notification. We are using the lastest Mattermost mobile clients for both Android and Iphone. We are not using the classic version. I am using an Note 8 and other users have IPhone 6,7, & 8. I will upgrade our server and report back on mobile and desktop issues. Hopefully it has the same results as n1k0.

ok, I updated to the latest version and MP4 is now working perfectly :slight_smile:

I am having an issue with .mov files from iphone also. You can download them in the desktop client. However, you can only view the play image on all mobile devices. Is there support for .mov?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi @usc1787,

Good to hear .mp4 issue is resolved.

I tested a .mov file captured on an iPod and uploaded to our nightly build server and then viewed on the iPod.

Behavior I saw was when I click on the .mov thumbnail, it prompts to download onto the iPod and then opens the movie which can be played.

I am testing on an unreleased version of the iOS app though so it could be that .mov is not yet supported on the app store version but that it will be soon.

Hi @lindy65,

Thanks for your response. I did miss the menu on the top right that lets me download and play the .mov file on my phones video player. This works on my android Note 8. However, on my co-worker’s iphone 7 he did not have an option to download the file. I wasn’t able to test on other iPhones yet. He pretty much sees what is in my screenshot minus the three dotted menu on the right.

Screenshot_20180222-162026

Hi @usc1787,

Thanks for the feedback,

Does he also see the “download” button on his iPhone 7? Or is that missing too?

Can he check that he has the latest version from the appstore installed? It might be a good idea to also upgrade to the latest server version.

Let me know if this resolves his issue?

The download button & menu are both missing. We are on the latest server version and latest mobile app version. I will test with some more iphone tomorrow - Thanks

Perhaps @elias can help with what is expected on iOS as I’m not sure