Mattermost (Windows) client quits/restarts with every new notification

One user of 10 active users is reporting that their Windows Mattermost client (5.2.2) is crashing with the below error after every notification. (new messages, mentions, etc). The issue stops if notifications are set to none.

• Issue started when they updated to current desktop client
  • Server version was 6.70 at the time, we updated the server to current (7.5.2) last week, and the one person’s issue persists.
  • Re-installed client, including deleting information in %appdata%\Roaming\Mattermost\Local Storage
  • After testing and duplication of the issue, went to collect logs from the client and found none in the Mattermost\Logs folder.

The error occurs when a new message or mention is received in a channel where notifications is enabled. If the user is already in the channel and multiple messages are sequentially sent, the first received causes the error, but all messages are delivered.

Set notifications to none and the error does not occur.

Traceback:
Application: Mattermost 5.2.2
Platform: Windows_NT 6.1.7601 x64
Error: The specified procedure could not be found.

?\C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\mattermost-desktop\resources\app.asar.unpacked\node_modules\windows-focus-assist\build\Release\focusassist.node
at process.func [as dlopen] (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:1810)
at Module._extensions…node (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1205:18)
at Object.func [as .node] (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:2037)
at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:988:32)
at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:829:12)
at c._load (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:13339)
at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1012:19)
at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:102:18)
at bindings (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\mattermost-desktop\resources\app.asar\node_modules\bindings\bindings.js:112:48)
at getFocusAssist (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\mattermost-desktop\resources\app.asar\node_modules\windows-focus-assist\lib\index.js:23:35)

Hi Ravalox and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

Can you please enable debug logging in your desktop client? File → Settings → scroll to the bottom to see the “Logging Level” there.
Does that produce any logs then when you reproduce the error?

Out of the error message I’d suggest that this is related to Windows Focus Assist - can you compare the settings for this user to yours, f.ex.?

Hi Ravalox,

just trying to follow up here - were you able to solve your issue?

Hi all,

We have the same problem as described by Ravalox with two of our clients (Windows 7)

Mattermost desktop client was 5.2.2. Using 5.2.1 we experienced the same problem.
We installed 5.1.0 which was OK.

Hi Haritak and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

Windows 7 support ended 2 years ago, so I think this is normal depreciation happening here and I don’t think that there will be resources available to fix newer client versions on older, unsupported systems.
I think you’re stuck with 5.1.0 then until you are able to upgrade your client OS.

1 Like