Multiple Servers per Installation

Hello,

I was looking into testing Mattermost for personal use (and admittedly I like to play around with various software in my home lab) and I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I just recently went through the Self-Managed Administrator’s Guide for Installing Mattermost on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ( [Installing Mattermost on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS — Mattermost 5.30 documentation (Redirect) and after getting everything setup I was curious if it’s possible to run multiple server instances from this single installation. It would seem that I could do so by simply using a different internal port, perhaps with some json tweaks.

I’m mostly just hosting this for my family (~6-7 people) for one and I’m I’d like a second for friends (~10-15 max) so I’m not expecting a ton of traffic, thus I don’t see the point in spinning up an entirely new VM just for this. I also suppose I could use Docker, but quite honestly I’ve never been that comfortable with Dockers (admittedly I need experience with them but I would rather I get that experience from other projects). Thus any help on how, if possible, I could run multiple off of a single VM without using containers would be awesome since I couldn’t find any information about it in the documentation (mostly only information about clustering, etc).

Thank you.

Hello! I would like to refer you to Multiple instances on one server, I think that upon reading this, you may find this useful. If your looking for a bit of additional guidance, let me know and I’d be glad to walk you through the commands and steps to run multiple instances a bit further in-depth!

2 Likes