Mattermost is committed to continuously improving our products to serve our customers’ evolving needs. As part of this commitment, we want to inform you about some upcoming product changes that will affect our platform.
Effective September 15th, 2023, Mattermost Boards will transition to being fully community supported, with various other plugins following suit (see full list below). Mattermost will continue to actively maintain a select number of plugins, including Jira, Github, Gitlab, MS Teams Sync plugin, Calls, ServiceNow, and Zoom.
The reason behind these changes is to focus our resources on improving the platform’s performance and core features, which are critical for our community and Enterprise customers.
We understand that any directional change to a product may have an impact on your existing workflows and processes. Transparency is of utmost importance to us. Our team is ready to assist you and provide the necessary resources to minimize disruptions and help you leverage alternative solutions.
How will these changes affect my Mattermost instance?
Mattermost Self-hosted: You may continue to use Boards (Focalboard plugin) and any other plugins without interruption. Moving forward, Mattermost will not be adding features or fixing bugs in community supported plugins beyond September 15th, 2023.
Mattermost Cloud: Mattermost Boards will be removed from all cloud instances on September 28th, 2023. It is recommended that you export your Boards prior to this date (see below instructions). Other community supported plugins will remain functional; however, it’s important to be transparent about the possibility of needing to take down a plugin quickly and with short notice if it presents security or performance issues in our cloud environments.
How do I export my Boards data?
- You can export your boards to CSV files. To do this, select the options menu (…) to the left of the New button at the top of the board, then select Export to CSV. The CSV will contain all the cards in that board and their associated properties. Learn more in our docs.
- If you’re missing cards in your CSV export, you may have a search query that’s filtering items in the board. Try clearing your search and exporting to CSV again.
What does “community supported” mean?
- Mattermost will no longer be maintaining these plugins - this includes bug fixes and feature additions. Instead, the plugins are open-sourced and made available indefinitely for community contributions in GitHub (repository links below).
Which plugins are going to be community supported moving forward?
How do I know what plugins my instance is using?
As a System Admin, go to System Console > Plugins > Plugin Management to review the status of all plugins installed on your Mattermost deployment.
You will see a list of plugin versions currently in use, and can enable or disable plugins here.
- For example, if you don’t see an entry for Mattermost Boards (focalboard - 7.11.2) in the list of plugins, this means that the plugin isn’t installed.
What should I do if I have a feature request or bug report for Focalboard or other community supported plugins?
- We encourage the community to fork any repository for their own continued development and contributions.
How do I install new plugins or update existing plugins?
If a newer version of a plugin is available or to install a new plugin, you can download the plugin package from the associated GitHub repository and then upload it in the System Console > Plugins > Plugin Management page.
We recommend “watching” and starring the GitHub repositories of the plugins you use to receive notifications when a new release is available to download.
What should I do if I have concerns or further questions?
- You can engage with our product team via email at email@example.com