Upgrading from one Extended Support Release to the next

I am on Mattermost 7.8.11(ESR) and I wish to upgrade to v8.1.7 (ESR). My query is : Can I directly do this or do I first have to goto 7.8.15 which is the latest dot release for v7.8 ESR. Please clarify. Basically my query is : when we upgrade from one ESR say v7.8 to another ESR say 8.1, can we upgrade from any 7.8.x to 8.1.y ? Or do we have to upgrade to the latest release in the lower ESR before we goto the next ESR ? On similar lines, can we upgrade to the highest dot release is in the next ESR from any dot release in the previous ESR ?

See if Important Upgrade Notes — Mattermost documentation helps. The deltas between 7.8.x and 8.1.x versions are security and bug fixes, so I believe you can go from any to any.

And 8.1.8 is available! Mattermost legacy self-hosted changelog — Mattermost documentation

Dear John,

Many thanks for your reply.

The deltas between 7.8.x and 8.1.x versions are security and bug fixes, so I believe you can go from any to any.

What is the situation when we can not go from any to any?
In other words what are the alternatives to security and bug fixes which indicate that we can’t upgrade ?

Perhaps a change in the database structure / migration ?

You can go from any ESR (7.8.x) to the next ESR (8.1.y)