Mattermost on Mac - Window not showing

Hi,

When I execute the mattermost app on my Mac, I see the mattermost menu but I don’t see any window. When I click on “show all windows” on the icon in the dock, I see a dialog box that states “no available windows” . I also see have also noticed that within the mattermost menu, when I select help from the menu, I see a string (empty). I have restarted the app, reinstalled the app, restarted my machine.

I am running Mac OS Venturer 13.4.1. The mattermost app from the App Store is version 5.4.0. Coincidentally the “about” window does show.

Is the answer not to download the app from the App Store ? Mattermost 5.2.2 no window opening on MacOS when starting - #8 by agriesser

Hi Rochus,

5.4.0 should have fixed this problem. Is this your first setup or did you upgrade a previous installation to it? If it’s a fresh setup, can you attach the logs to your next post?

If it’s an upgraded installation, can you please try to uninstall the app and attempt a fresh install afterwards?

Hi Alexander,

I am not sure what you mean by upgrade a previous installation it. But let give me more details that may cover it.

I have been using the app happily for close to a year. From time to time the app makes a request to update it. I usually update it when I see the message. I think the last time was last week. Co-incidentally I also updated my Mac OS as it too gave a notification of an update.

Until several days ago I used the app to interact with a workspace hosted by mattermost. I have setup a self hosted mattermost on our data server and have switched to it a few times. Its version is 5.3.1.

I have installed the app twice and the reinstalled it, both times form the App Store.

Below is an except of the log. For some reason the when I go to attach the log, the log file is not highlighted as file that can be attached.

[2023-06-30 11:22:18.240] [debug] [DownloadsManager] saveAll
[2023-06-30 11:22:18.242] [debug] [MainWindow] Can’t send update-downloads-dropdown, will retry
[2023-06-30 11:22:18.244] [debug] [DownloadsManager] checkForDeletedFiles
[2023-06-30 11:22:19.248] [debug] [MainWindow] Can’t send update-downloads-dropdown, will retry
[2023-06-30 11:22:20.254] [debug] [MainWindow] Can’t send update-downloads-dropdown, will retry
[2023-06-30 11:22:21.260] [error] [MainWindow] Unable to send the message to the main window for message type update-downloads-dropdown
[2023-06-30 12:22:48.247] [debug] [DownloadsManager] init {
‘this.json’: {
‘image.png’: {
addedAt: 1687848570173,
filename: ‘image.png’,
mimeType: ‘image/png’,
location: ‘/var/folders/y9/x6n12vvj0xn1kj8mp2j8f16w0000gp/T/Mattermost.Desktop/image.png’,
progress: 100,
receivedBytes: 4091115,
state: ‘interrupted’,
totalBytes: 4091115,
type: ‘file’,
bookmark: ‘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’
}
},
validatedJSON: {
‘image.png’: {
addedAt: 1687848570173,
filename: ‘image.png’,
mimeType: ‘image/png’,
location: ‘/var/folders/y9/x6n12vvj0xn1kj8mp2j8f16w0000gp/T/Mattermost.Desktop/image.png’,
progress: 100,
receivedBytes: 4091115,
state: ‘interrupted’,
totalBytes: 4091115,
type: ‘file’,
bookmark: ‘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’
}
}
}
[2023-06-30 12:22:48.291] [debug] [DownloadsManager] saveAll
[2023-06-30 12:22:48.295] [debug] [MainWindow] Can’t send update-downloads-dropdown, will retry
[2023-06-30 12:22:48.299] [debug] [DownloadsManager] checkForDeletedFiles
[2023-06-30 12:22:50.033] [debug] [MainWindow] Can’t send update-downloads-dropdown, will retry
[2023-06-30 12:22:51.040] [debug] [MainWindow] Can’t send update-downloads-dropdown, will retry
[2023-06-30 12:22:52.047] [error] [MainWindow] Unable to send the message to the main window for message type update-downloads-dropdown

Thanks, so this is an updated installation. It seems as if there’s again a problem with the download location picker which cannot be opened and maybe is related to what you’re seeing.

@devinbinnie any idea how to force the app to store the downloads location again (if this is the issue)?

What you could do is forcibly remove the ~/Library/Containers/Mattermost/Data/Library/Application Support/Mattermost folder, which bear-in-mind, will erase your configured servers.

However, I’m not sure that the Downloads picker is the root cause here, it looks like the window is not popping up at all because the MainWindow webContents object cannot be reached. I’d maybe suggest blowing out that folder anyways and also doing a fresh install on your computer. Something is likely corrupted.

Failing that, is there any MDM profile on your machine? It could be blocking access to that window for some reason.

Hi @devinbinnie ,

I have done a full app removal before reinstalling having followed this article. The behaviour is the same. This is the image that I see when I click the MM icon and select “show all windows”.

Regarding the MDM, I just googled this. MDM (Mobile Device Management). I haven’t explicitly set one up. I can say that I have been happily using the app for a year. The changes are:

• Last week or there about I updated Ventura
  • Later I deleted my Mac OS Mattermost app cause it had frozen on the reading of logs when I was viewing a mattermost server that I had installed on a private server, and each time I opened it it would open at the frozen page
  • I reinstalled the app from the App Store and have been having this problem ever since.

I had virtually the same problem as the OP (Ventura, updated Mattermost last week, sudden inability to open a Window, 5.4.0, etc.). Forcibly removing the above folder seems to have fixed the problem.

Hi Darran and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

Thanks for confirming that deleting this folder helped with this problem - @Rochus could you also try that, please?

Hi @agriesser ,

I have attempted to do repeat the removal of the folder in that location , but I could not spot the folder in that location. However when I deleted the app, I deleted it differently. I long pressed on it and then clicked on the x. With my prior attempts I deleted it directly from the apps folder. It works now. I did see a read banner appear and disappear very quickly, even before I logged in. It read “… javascript error”.

This is a hidden folder, so by default you cannot see it:

Not sure about the javascript error, but good to hear that a full reinstall and the folder deletion works to get this problem solved.

Thanks @agriesser . Glad to have the desktop app working