[SOLVED] SendMail: Error setting "From Address", 550 SMTP Envelope Sender must be valid

Summary

Hello,

I get the following message when I click Test Connection

Connection unsuccessful: Connection unsuccessful: SendMail: Error setting "From Address", 550 SMTP Envelope Sender must be valid

Log
{"level":"error","ts":1608258999.092073,"caller":"mlog/log.go:229","msg":"Connection unsuccessful: SendMail: Error setting \"From Address\", 550 SMTP Envelope Sender must be valid","path":"/api/v4/email/test","request_id":"kbx46dpbgbr49cinzmt61m84ko","ip_addr":"REMOVED","user_id":"3oidfoep7tdifjperg8ducy1ee","method":"POST","err_where":"testEmail","http_code":500,"err_details":""}

The credentials and smtp server works when tested with Outlook mail client. When I enter the wrong password in mattermost I get the following message, so it seems it is communicating with the smtp server.

Connection unsuccessful: Connection unsuccessful: SendMail: Failed to authenticate on SMTP server., 535 Incorrect authentication data.

Steps to reproduce

Install Mattermost 5.29.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 following instructions on mattermost.com
Install nginx 1.18 and SSL as per instructions.
Go to System Console\SMTP
Fill credentials, enable SMTP authentication, select TLS for connection security
Click Test Connection

Expected behavior

Successful mail test and mail notifications

Observed behavior

Everything works except mail.

Thank you

I did not have the Notification from address and Notification Reply to address set in Site Configuration\Notifications. Works now. Leaving this here in case it helps someone else.

4 Likes

I just created an account to tell you, that this was the missing piece in the mattermost puzzle for me :smiley: thanks for pointing this out! Solved it for me as well.

2 Likes