Stop Thread Pane from constantly opening

I’m often selecting text in a MM conversation. However, it seems with the newer version (We’re on 5.0.2), every click in a conversation opens up the thread pane.

This is turning out to be annoying since I don’t need to see the thread pane 80% of the time. I’d rather manually select and click the ‘reply’ button in a comment rather than have the thread pane open.

Is there a way to prevent the constant opening of the thread pane?

1 Like

You can disable this from Settings > Display Settings > Click to open threads > Off.

1 Like

Seriously how do we disable threads? This hint to disable doesn’t appear to be in 5.2.2 client or in the system console?

SUPER IRRITATING and we would like to just disable threads all together

Hi TheLittleDuke and welcome to the Mattermost forums!

This hint here from Amy is just about preventing the right hand thread pane from opening when you left-click on a threaded message in the message pane.
Threads themselves can not be disabled, because this is an integral part of instant messaging, but you can disable the collapsed reply threads feature which is enabled and active by default on a fresh installation. To do that, open your “System console” and go to “Site configuration” → “Posts” and check out the options “Collapsed Reply Threads” and “Automatically Follow Threads”.

P.S.: Please do not hijack already solved topics, feel free to create a new one and link to one you find related. Thanks!

Hello @agriesser I don’t find that menu path in the version we’re running but will look again.

Thanks for the “hint” on starting a new thread – if you really want them closed then why not close them off as “answered” ?

Lastly, I would think if threading was integral to messaging then you could masquerade that in the main system – since its annoying a/f and tends to hide or bury conversations or information. Its one of the key reasons we dumped Slack.

What version are you running and what options do you see in the “Posts” section in your system console?

There’s no way to do that here in Discourse AFAIK - you can only mark one answer as the solution and that will add a flag/icon to the topic, indicating that it’s solved and there’s also the blue box at the right next to the reply window which tells you, that this issue is already solved :slight_smile:
I think they’re left open if someone wants to contribute to exactly the same issue or if there are any additional questions, but your issue is not related, hence the “hint” to start a new topic.

I’m not sure what you mean with that - can you elaborate on that?

You could completely disable the threading in the UI/UX as an option so that it NEVER pops open the side window, but still fully allow the core function as part of the overall system.

We use the system as a continuous timestamp of information flow and any threads are handled with direct messaging or in related channels.

Thanks for the additional information. You can (on a per user basis) disable the “Click to open threads” option (user settings icon in the top right, section “Display”), which at least helps with not opening the thread view when you simply click on a message.
There’s unfortunately no way currently to force this setting on existing users and prevent them from changing it, but (in the database or using the API) you can configure this setting for all your users; not sure if that minimizes the pain you’re having with the threads feature in general, but I think that’s the only option left here.

That’s helpful and I appreciate the consideration!

What table in the db should we look at or is there a FAQ for an update statement we can run to flip it off for everyone ?

And if you have a backlog of requests, not that its a priority, would like to suggest it get added or survey your user base – you might be surprised that very few of us enjoy this :wink:

Threading works GREAT on things like message boards IMHO, but in a livestream of dialogue its like an “easter egg hunt” every time and broader context is often lost.

In fact having a static “archive” of a channel show up AS a kind of message board (think reddit style) might be an awesome feature :slight_smile:

Cheers!

-dvd

The table is called preferences and the setting is called click_to_reply in the category display_settings. For my user account, it’s currently inactive:

mattermost=# select * from preferences where userid='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' and name='click_to_reply';
           userid           |     category     |      name      | value
----------------------------+------------------+----------------+-------
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | display_settings | click_to_reply | false
(1 row)

The API endpoint preferences can be used to update it:
https://api.mattermost.com/#tag/preferences

1 Like

thank you! i absolutely HATE the thread pane always opening! now that it is disabled, I am at peace again.

Happy to help :slight_smile: And welcome to the Mattermost forums, @bryan.hafner !