How can I disable formatted text paste?

Summary
When you copy text for example from a website and try to paste it into your mattermost chat line, it tries to format it. Its not only utterly useless, goes against the default behavior of 99% of applications in the world, but also broken most of the time.

Can it be disabled?

Steps to reproduce
Copy and paste from a website into mattermost chat.

Hi tyronx,

it cannot be disabled, but you can use the unformatted paste keyboard shortcut which is standard nowadays in most of the applications, that is CTRL/Cmd-SHIFT-v instead of just CTRL/Cmd-v.

Alright, thanks for the tip

I’m on Windows and using CTRL+Shift+V does not work for me. It still pastes as formatted text.

I am trying to paste a name from Gmail into mattermost and get just a lot of html. Doing Ctrl-shift-v does not help. I just want the name.

I feel quite contstrained, not being able to paste in arbritary text effectively

Is there no way to paste “as if I was just pasting into notepad”?

Pasting into mattermost:

![](https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/profile_mask2.png)

|   <table cellpadding="0" class="cf ix"><tbody><tr><td class="c2"><h3 class="iw"><span translate="no" class="qu" role="gridcell" tabindex="-1"><span email="***EMAIL***" name="***FIRSTNAME LASTNAME***" data-hovercard-id="***EMAIL***" class="gD" data-hovercard-owner-id="106"><span>***FIRSTNAME LASTNAME***</span></span></span></h3></td></tr></tbody></table>   |
| --- |

Pasting into notepad

***FIRSTNAME LASTNAME***

Yup, still does not work for me either. Copypasting is pretty much broken in Mattermost now.