Missing Messages on iOS App

Hi all,

server: linux RHEL 7.5 64 bits
server mm: 5.4.0
ios: 12.0.1
ios mm: 1.13.1 build 151

I’m facing issue where the user gets a new message notification, he opens the app but that specific message doesn’t show up on the chat app.

It is happening from time to time.

To replicate, have mattermost opened on your iphone, lock the phone, ask for a friend to send a direct message, wait until the notification pops, click on the notification, it should open mattermost in the correct channel but the message will not show up leaving a gab on your messages.

This is very frustrating. I have many complains from users about this issue.

This kind of issue causes users to loose trust in Mattermost. Something we already discussed. Message and notification service should be working 100% by now. Other services can be improved in time.

Please have this issue set to high priority and sorted asap.


Hi @RbDev,

I’ll be testing this out and I’ll also ask the team to help test it out.

Hi @RbDev, I realized we still have this ticket open which will most likely fix the issue you’re seeing: https://mattermost.atlassian.net/browse/MM-11965.

I dont think we are talking about the same issue.

The issue in this post is about messages not appearing in the chat. I believe the app is not receiving them.

The issue you are talking about is something I raised sometime ago about messages not being displayed correctly. You can see the issue specially when you change the mobile orientation and it causes the message to go out of the screen or not enough height is added to display the hole message or create empty spaces appears between messages. This is a layout issue.

In regards to your issue I think message required area is not being calculated correcty.

In regards to mine, I think the app is not getting updated. not receiving the latest messages. If you are using websockets it is possible the server already sent the message but the app wasn’t active to receive it.


Another scenario with missing messages.





@RbDev I’ve asked our QAs to help test this as well.

This issue is still happening in the latest release.

Mattermost Server: 5.5.0

iOS: 12.1

Mattermost App: 1.14

Pls give priority to this. It needs to be fixed ASAP.



Hi @RbDev,

We created different types of tickets based on your meeting with one of our PMs, so you will see improvements in future releases: https://mattermost.atlassian.net/browse/MM-13065.

1 Like

Hi all,

Unfortunately this issue is this happening:
MM server 5.6
iOS 12.1.1
MM iOS 1.15

The user receives the notifications for each message but they dont appear in the chat list.



Thanks @RbDev - our team is working on improving network handling for the mobile apps: https://mattermost.atlassian.net/browse/MM-13065

Some of the improvements have been completed with more in progress or planned


This is also happening in the Android app, reported by one of our users.
Restarting the app did not fix the issue.




Unfortunately this issue is still happening.

MM Server: 5.8
MM iOS Client: 1.16
iOS 12.1.14

I did get a notification about a new message “Falo com ela depois.”. I open the ios app and the message doesn’t show up. I ended up with a gap in the message list.

Please this needs fixing …


Thanks @RbDev - as stated above, our team is working on improving network handling for the mobile apps: https://mattermost.atlassian.net/browse/MM-13065

Some of the improvements have been completed with more in progress or planned.

1 Like

Hi @amy.blais,

I understand there are many issues to work on but since this issue affects messaging (mattermost primary feature) I believe this should be set as high priority.

I suggest to have as many developers involved as possible to fix this.


We see the exact same issue with the web app and the macOS app (which is just the webapp so no surprise there!). A reload shows the new messages.

I’m guessing the web problem is the classic sync problem: updates are lost (maybe bad network or whatever) and there is no way to discover this state to recover.

There are many solutions possible, but first the problem must be discovered. For example sending the ID of the previous message to the client with every new message. If the client got an unknown ID it would reload the page.

Or send the total count of messages when joining a room, and then with each new message. The client could then take the initial count and add, if a new message arrives with a total that doesn’t match the local: reload the page.

I tried every possible fix out there untill i fixed it by checking whether the Phone number is blocked.